The Empty Field

A factory worker grew tired of accepting long hours, little pay, and a tyrant for a boss, so he left the city for the country. He wanted to harvest his own crop and reap the wealth of the earth. He took his entire savings and bought a piece of land from a farmer.

"It's good land," the farmer said. "Lots of potential. It'll yield you a decent crop."

Excited at the idea of one day harvesting a great bounty, the factory worker thanked the farmer with a hearty handshake. The he walked out and sat in the middle of the field. He imagined all the crops he would enjoy.

Over there would be corn. On that other side carrots and cabbage. On the end, he'd grow turnips. He loved sweet fruit, so he'd have strawberries and blueberries too. It would be pure joy to eat food grown from a field he owned.

The factory worker spent a long time imagining his harvest. He barely noticed the changes in the weather.

One crisp cool day, the farmer found him lost in thought in the empty field.

"Oh, hello," the factory worker said when he stopped daydreaming long enough to notice the farmer. "What are you doing here?"

"I got my harvest in. I thought I'd see if you needed a hand with yours."

The factory worker blinked. "I don't have one yet."

"Didn't you plant any crops?"

"Well, I bought the land. I guess I thought..."

"It'd grow on its own?" the farmer asked, mouth dropping in disbelief. "It doesn't work that way. The land's just the beginning. You have to put in work to see a harvest."

No comments: